[Home ] [Archive]    
:: Main :: About :: Current Issue :: Archive :: Search :: Submit :: Contact ::
:: Volume 18, Issue 4 (10-2020) ::
Int J Radiat Res 2020, 18(4): 809-815 Back to browse issues page
Investigation of the direct DNA damages irradiated by protons of different energies using geant4-DNA toolkit
Z. Ahmadi Ganjeh, M. Eslami-Kalantari Ph.D., , M. Ebrahimi Loushab, A.A. Mowlavi
Department of Physics, School of Science, Yazd University, Yazd, Iran , meslami@yazd.ac.ir
Abstract:   (128 Views)
Background: The total yields of direct Single-Strand Breaks (SSBs) and Double-Strand Breaks (DSBs) in proton energies varying from 0.1 to 40 MeV were calculated. While other studies in this field have not used protons with energy less than 0.5 MeV, our results show interesting and complicated behavior of these protons. Materials and Methods: The simulation has been done using the Geant4-DNA toolkit. An atomic model of DNA geometry was simulated. Simulations were performed with a source in the Z-axis direction at the cell nucleus entrance with protons at energies of 0.1-1 MeV in 0.1 MeV steps, 5 MeV, and 10-40 MeV in 10 MeV steps. Results: The calculated SSB yields decreased from 60.08 (GbpGy)−1 for 0.1 MeV proton energy to 49.52 (GbpGy)−1 for 0.5 MeV proton energy, and then it increased to 54.35 (GbpGy)−1 in 40 MeV. The DSB yields decreased from 4.32 (GbpGy)−1 for 0.1 MeV proton energy to 1.03 (GbpGy)−1 for 40-MeV protons. The DSB yields for energies less than 0.5 MeV was about 56%, and for the other energy levels, it was 44%. As for SSB yields, 35% of the breaks arose from protons with an energy of fewer than 0.5 MeV and 65% from higher energies. Conclusion: It was found that the proton ranges with an energy less than 0.5 MeV are smaller than the cell size (10 μm), and 100% of the energy is deposited in the cell region. Then protons with these energies are the best choice to increase the number of DSBs.
Keywords: Monte Carlo simulation, proton, SSB yield, DSB yield.
Full-Text [PDF 1824 kb]   (42 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Original Research | Subject: Medical Physics
Send email to the article author

Add your comments about this article
Your username or Email:

CAPTCHA



XML     Print


Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Ahmadi Ganjeh Z, Eslami-Kalantari M, Ebrahimi Loushab M, Mowlavi A. Investigation of the direct DNA damages irradiated by protons of different energies using geant4-DNA toolkit. Int J Radiat Res. 2020; 18 (4) :809-815
URL: http://ijrr.com/article-1-3297-en.html


Volume 18, Issue 4 (10-2020) Back to browse issues page
International Journal of Radiation Research
Persian site map - English site map - Created in 0.06 seconds with 32 queries by YEKTAWEB 4227